The Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
Created in honour of the late activist Gerald Kraak’s extraordinary legacy of supporting human rights, the Jacana award will advance his contribution to building a South Africa that is safe and welcoming to all. The unique and vital anthology will feature English language writing and photography from and about Africa. Exceptional works which explore, interrogate and celebrate the topics of gender, sexuality and human rights will be short-listed, and given a voice through publication.
SUBMISSIONS ARE CURRENTLY OPEN!
Closing date for submissions: 31 July 2016
Shortlist announced: 15 December 2016
Works which fall within one of the following categories are accepted:
• photography / photographic essays
• journalism / magazine reporting
• scholarly articles in academic journals and book chapters / extracts
• social media / blog writings and contributions
Entries must have been created by a citizen of an African country, who primarily lives and works on the continent.
Written submissions must be in English.
• Up to three entries are permitted per author, across categories. Each entry must be submitted on a separate electronic entry form.
• Materials must not exceed 15 000 words or 10 images.
•Jacana is looking for work which tells a story or illustrates an idea. If one photograph achieves this, then we welcome the submission of that single image. It is however more likely to be accomplished through a collection of photographs or a photographic essay.
• No handwritten or hard copy entries can be considered. Submissions must be made via the online entry form: http://www.jacana.co.za/awards/the-gerald-kraak-award-and-anthology-entry-form
More information on this Award can be got from