African Writers Trust is delighted to announce a new partnership with The International Writing Program, The University of IOWA. The International Writing Program (IWP) is a unique conduit for the world’s literatures, connecting well-established writers from around the globe, bringing international literature into classrooms, introducing American writers to other cultures through reading tours, and serving as a clearinghouse for literary news and a wealth of archival and pedagogical materials.
The sponsorship will enable a selected number of writers to participate in the African Writers Trust Writing and Reading Residency which will run from 27th April to 2nd May at HotSprings Villas in Kampala, Uganda.
The sponsorship will cover:
- An online writing workshop
- Full board accommodation at Hotsprings Villas for five nights (including bed, breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
- A free copy of An American Marriage by Tayari Jones and Arrows of Rain by Okey Ndibe
- A barbeque night with poetry recitals, dancing, and other performances
- Workshop materials including handouts and access to Wi-Fi
Please note that travel costs and medical insurance will not be covered in the sponsorship package.
To apply for the International Writing Program sponsorship, please fill in the google form here.
Submit one file containing the following information:
- A short Bio of not more than 200 words
- A writing sample (of not more than 600 words) of an extract of a novel, a short story, or a creative non-fiction essay
- A brief statement (of not more than 500 words) expressing how you believe you will benefit from participating in this residency
- Contact information: phone number and email address
Send the information to:
email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include in Subject Line: African Writers Trust Writing and Reading Residency(IWP)
The deadline for submission of applications is Sunday, 21st March at 5 pm GMT
Only successful applicants will be contacted by 29th March 2021.