The International Writers’ Workshop (IWW) at Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) invites applications for a 4-week residency programme in spring 2022. This writers-in-residence programme includes airfare, lodging, and a per diem. The deadline for applications is 31 August 2021.
Call for Applications
Founded in 2004, the International Writers’ Workshop (IWW) at Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) has hosted over 130 writers from more than 55 countries. They invite applications from interested writers to join the IWW 2022 Residency Programme from 21 February to 21 March 2022. The programme will culminate in the IWW Literary Festival with the theme of “Writing and Wellbeing.” Applicants are encouraged, but not required, to address how their work connects to the theme. The deadline is 31 August 2021. The final arrangements of the programme will be subject to change in regards to the prevailing travel restrictions and quarantine requirements as directed by the Hong Kong Government, and for the safety and health of invited writers and the audience.
What IWW Provides:
- Roundtrip economy class airfare
- Accommodation on HKBU’s campus for 4 weeks
- A per diem
- Writers must have at least one published book
- Currently reside outside of Hong Kong
- Have a functional command of English or Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese).
Residency Programme Requirements:
- Attend the entire residency from 21 February to 21 March 2022
- Attend the Welcome Ceremony during the first week
- Participate in the Literary Festival during the final week.
Writers are encouraged to share a piece of writing in conversation with the Literary Festival’s theme.
- A 1-page, single-spaced Artist’s Statement in English or Chinese describing your work and your writing goals for the residency programme. If the statement is written in Chinese, please provide a 1-paragraph summary in English
- 12-15 pages of recent work, such as digital writing, fiction, graphic writing, a libretto, nonfiction, a play, or poetry. Please provide an English or Chinese translation of your work, if you do not write in English or Chinese
- A CV or resume
- Contact information, including e-mail addresses, for two references
- All materials should be in 12-point type with 1-inch margins.
Please send your application materials as a single PDF to email@example.com by 31 August 2021. Applicants will be notified of the results by mid-October 2021. A publicly-funded university that prioritizes Creative Media and Practice, HKBU is the only university in Hong Kong with all of the following research and teaching areas: Creative Writing, Film and Screen Studies, Literary Studies, Music, Translation Theory and Practice, and Visual Arts. One of the few residency programmes for writers in Asia, IWW remains a long-standing part of HKBU’s commitment to the literary arts.
For further information, please check IWW’s website and contact the International Writers’ Workshop via firstname.lastname@example.org