CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
African Writers Trust Publishing Fellowship Programme
Application Deadline: Monday, 30 July at 5 pm GMT.
This Publishing Fellowship programme is open to early career publishers and creative writers intending to self-publish their manuscripts. Applicants will be selected from Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Sudan and South Sudan.
The African Writers Trust Publishing Fellowship programme is aimed at equipping early career publishers and creative writers, who are looking to self-publish their works, with the skills they require to develop their works to high, publishable standards. The programme’s focus is to facilitate the sharing of knowledge, expertise, experiences and collaborative learning between the more experienced publishers and early career and emerging ones.
The programme will be delivered at three levels:
- Mentoring and Training Workshop (Residential)
The Mentoring and Training workshop will be held in Uganda from 1st to 10th November 2018. The workshop will consist of a variety of sessions including the opportunity to engage in one-to-one consultations with mentors, presentations on successful publishing models, theoretical editing and publishing modules, publishing as a business, and others.
The workshop will be led by Internationally recognised experts in the publishing sector with a shared dedication of seeing the book sector in Africa grow.
- Seed Funding
At the end of the workshop, Fellows will be invited to make an application for seed funding. From applications made, one project will be selected for the award of funds worth
€4,000 (Four Thousand Euros). The winning applicant will use the funds to publish the manuscript they will have developed during the workshop.
- Post workshop support for three months
Fellows will be offered up to three contacts with Mentors in a manner that has been negotiated and agreed between Fellow and Mentor (i.e. email, Skype, etc.) Relevant updates from the publishing world will be made accessible to Fellows, in addition to international publishing networks and access to an online community with other Fellows.
- The opportunity for mutual learning from publishing experts.
- The opportunity to learn how to prepare a funding application and budget
- The opportunity to network with other emerging publishers and writers.
- Air travel expenses for the successful candidates will be covered.
- Accommodation and meals expenses for the successful candidates will be provided for the duration of the workshop.
- Out of Pocket allowance will NOT be provided.
Eligibility — Who can apply?
The successful candidates MUST have an on-going project in the form of a manuscript which they are developing for publication; and are committed, enthusiastic, and looking to further their skills and experience in the book industry.
The following can apply:
- Early career and emerging publishers.
- Self-publishing creative writers.
- Individuals working in the publishing industry.
Eligible applicants are asked to send one file containing the following information:
- A completed Application Form.
- Cover Letter (no more than one page – 600 words)
- Sample of Work-in-Progress (no more than one page —600 words)
Applications should be submitted by Monday, 30 July at 5 pm GMT to:
Please include in Subject Line: African Writers Trust Publishing Fellowship Programme Application
Please contact us if you are interested in applying for an Application Form and Cover Letter at the above email addresses.
Only successful applicants will be contacted on Monday, 20th August 2018.